Mike McHargue, aka “Science Mike,” is the author of Finding God in the Waves: How I Lost My Faith and Found it Again Through Science. He is the host of the Ask Science Mike podcast and co-host of The Liturgists Podcast. He is a self-confessed nerd who is a unique, leading voice on the intersection of science and faith. He has written for The Washington Post, Don Miller’s Storyline, RELEVANT, and Biologos. He lives in Tallahassee, Florida with his family. In this episode of the RePlacing Church Podcast, he joins me to discuss:
- The darkest moment in his life and how it led to what he does now (8:00)
- How he encountered God on a California beach and what he did next (14:10)
- Three ways to increase your propensity to have a mystical experience (17:04)His thoughts on faith, science, and revelation (22:46)
- On being hopelessly in love the church (26:30)
- Why people who’ve left the faith are more open to God than church again (29:17)
- What he says to church leaders who have major doubts/asking God questions (31:30)
- What it’s like to be Science Mike’s pastor (34:48)
- How to form positive bonds with our neighborhoods and other places (36:42)
- The question that took him 15 seconds to answer (43:30)
- Why all lives should support Black Lives Matter (44:00)
- The one thing he would replace in the church (45:04)
*Originally posted at theV3movement.org
*Get your free RePlacing Church Resource List, a guide to being and becoming church in the neighborhood.
Episode Song Credits: “Another Wrong to Right” by Mercir. “Closed” by Zadok Wartes. Used with Permission.