D.L. Mayfield is the author of Assimilate or Go Home: Notes from a Failed Missionary on Rediscovering Faith. Her writing has been featured in numerous publications, such as McSweeny’s, Relevant, Geez, The Toast, and Conspire! Her recent articles include “Facing Our Legacy of Lynching,” a cover story for Christianity Today and “Church Planting and the Gospel of Gentrification,” a cover story for Sojourners. She has a decade of experience working with refugee communities in the United States and is actively engaged in supporting immigrant communities, resisting gentrification, and working for justice in the city of Gresham, Oregon, where she lives with her husband and two young children. In this episode of RePlacing Church, D.L. Mayfield joins me to discuss:
- Racism and the pacific northwest
- 2 things Christians need to think about when it comes to gentrification
- How refugees brought Christ to her
- Why we need messy missionary stories, not just successful ones
- How to be kind to your former spiritual self
- Why she wants to start a religious recovery group
- Why we need to celebrate unrecognized ministries
- Prophetic activism and parenting
Get your free RePlacing Church Resource List, a guide to being and becoming the church in the neighborhood.
Episode Song Credits: "Another Wrong to Right" and "You Won't Walk Alone" by Mercir. "Closed" by Zadok Wartes. Used with Permission.
Production Assistance by Nate Tubbs.